When an individual needs to hire a lawyer to help them with legal issues involving their citizenship status, they need to make sure that they are getting high quality representation. One of the first steps is to have a consultation with an immigration lawyer who can talk through your case and answer any questions you may have.
This initial meeting is an important step in ensuring that you are able to be successful with your immigration issues because it helps you better understand what you are dealing with, how things work, and what rights you have as an immigrant. Additionally, you will get answers regarding other aspects of your life including if there is anything else in terms of criminal defense or family law that might be related.
The first meeting with your immigration lawyer is an initial consultation, and you will need to schedule that appointment as soon as possible. When it comes to winning a case, timing is everything. The sooner you consult with a Van Nuys Immigration Attorney, the sooner you will know exactly what you can do in order to make sure your case goes smoothly.
This initial meeting is going to be helpful for gaining a better understanding of what needs to be done in order for your file to get approved by USCIS on time. Your immigration lawyer from our law firm will explain all of your options and help you decide on which path of action seems best suited for your situation. It may be necessary for them to advise on how quickly they think that they can proceed once more details have been disclosed.
- Make sure it is an immigration lawyer, not just a notary or assistant, and that that attorney is a member in good standing with your state bar.
- Check it out online: Do you have good reviews from other people in the community? Are other clients satisfied with your attorney’s work on their cases?
- See if the attorney has experience with cases particularly like yours. If you are facing deportation, but your immigration lawyer never attends Immigration Court, he may be a great attorney, but he may not be the best choice for your case as you would probably be better represented by someone who knows exactly how complexity works. of removal cases.
- Be wary of the attorney who assures you that your case will be approved. Not only is it unethical for an immigration lawyer to do so, but the success of your case cannot be guaranteed because there will always be factors beyond the control of all parties.
- Meet with the person before hiring them. This will give you a confident feeling that the attorney is the right person to handle your particular case. Immigration cases can take several years to resolve. You will be in a relationship with your attorney for a long time, so you should feel confident that the attorney can handle your case from the beginning of the relationship.
- Stay away from attorneys who just “dabble” on immigration. Immigration laws are complex and change constantly. Your immigration lawyer should develop your case strategy from the very first consultation. Denial of a case can have extreme consequences and can be very expensive to correct. You don’t want an attorney learning how to do immigration law using your case as practice.
- You get what you pay for. Online immigration service providers may be less expensive than hiring an immigration lawyer, but will you ever meet with the person working on your case? Will you work with your legal representative to develop a detailed strategy for your case? Will your case be considered just another file, or will the advocate representing you appreciate the fact that your family’s future depends on the outcome of your case?
What if you need to go to an interview? Will the online service provide you with someone to interview with you? Immigration cases are complex and time-consuming. A good immigration lawyer will not be cheap, but it will be worth the investment in your future and can save you money in the long run by avoiding costly mistakes.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Under the current administration, the practice of immigration law is becoming more complicated. It is much more difficult for people to immigrate to the United States, and that person without immigration status is most likely in removal proceedings and facing deportation. There are many more unexpected obstacles occurring more and more frequently in what was once a routine case. If an attorney says your case is “a piece of cake” and can be settled “without a hitch,” they may be telling you what they think you want to hear as opposed to the truth.
- Hire an attorney who has an excellent team. How the attorney’s staff treat you is important because it shows how you will be treated for the duration of your case. You must feel that your case is a priority, that your calls will be returned, your questions answered, and you must feel comfortable and accepted in the presence of the office workers.
- Be honest with your attorney. Your immigration lawyer can only represent you effectively if they know all the facts of your case. Don’t be embarrassed or shy, your attorney should keep all of your information confidential and needs to have your questions answered truthfully to determine if it would be in your best interest to take a particular action in your case.
The Final Verdict…
An immigration lawyer would cost you anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000 for an initial consultation. At some law firms you pay less than half of that price. They are able to offer affordable initial consultations because we are not a large law firm with high overhead costs. Instead, we are a small group of expert attorneys dedicated to helping immigrants get their visas approved quickly.
Unlike larger firms that charge by hours billed, some law firms’ charges by flat fees so there is no discrepancy in fees among attorneys at our firm or misleading bundling schemes for additional legal services that may or may not be necessary.