Long-term care means an exhaustive range of medical, social, and personal services. You coordinate these services for meeting the physical, emotional, and social needs of certain people. These people suffer from chronic disability or illness. You can provide nursing home care services to these people. They require 24/7 medical care and monitoring.
The types of nursing home care services
Nursing home facilities offer the most extensive and comprehensive care you can get outside a traditional hospital.
- These facilities offer custodial care in the form of eating, dressing up, and bathing. You also include skilled care in nursing home care services.
- You’ve registered nurse providing professional nursing care. It includes medical treatments and supervision.
- Professionals with special training also provide skilled care. These are respiratory, occupational, and physical therapists.
Know the nursing home care services
You need to know that home care nursing services vary from one facility to another. They are board and room, medication monitoring and administering, and personal care. Personal care includes toilet assistance, bathing, and dressing. The other services are recreational and social activities and 24-hour emergency care.
Finding the right facility
It takes time to find a reputable nursing home. It’s important to start your search for a proper nursing home facility in advance.
- You need to know its reputation and track record before seeking admission to the nursing unit.
- The waiting periods are often tedious due to unavailability of accommodations.
- Advance planning can make your transition of shifting into a nursing facility smoother and easier.
- Talking with your caregivers and family will help you affirm the nursing home care services you need.
- Take time to underscore what services are crucial to you before scheduling appointments with different nursing clinics.
Things to remember about nursing home care services
Before seeking admission to a nursing home, determine the daily activities you need assistance for. They could be eating, toilet help, dressing, or bathing. Also, determine how often you help. The frequency and extent of help can determine the type of nursing home you choose.
Before visiting a nursing home, check its level of care, admission requisites, vacancies, and participation or role in government-aided health insurance schemes.
Paying for nursing home care
After assessing your long-term care needs, you and your near ones need to focus on financing options. You can pay for nursing home care services through personal funds, private insurance, Medicaid, and Medicare.
- In your evaluation of nursing homes, it’s crucial to ask its administrative staff about the various payment options and gateways they have.
- Apart from the medical insurance from the government, you can also opt for private health insurance. It supplements your long-term medical coverage.
Your pivotal checklist
It’s in your best interests to check whether the nursing home facility meets state or/and local licensing protocols or not. Its administrator must have a valid license.
- The nursing home must meet state fire standards, which include fire-resistant windows and doors and sprinkler systems.
- It must have a proper evacuation plan in place.
Check its visiting hours and flexibility in timings. Check the procedure to respond to a medical emergency.